An authorised representative is responsible for managing the My Health Record of someone who is not able to make decisions for themselves. This could be for their child under 14 years or someone 14 years and over.
An authorised representative must act according to the will and preferences of the person they represent.
What you can do as an authorised representative
As an authorised representative, you have full access to and control of a person’s My Health Record, as if it was your own.
- View information
- Get proof of vaccination
- Remove documents
- Add a personal health information
- Add personal notes about health and development
- Choose whether Medicare information is uploaded to the record
- Choose which healthcare providers can access the record
- Add or remove nominated representatives
- View other authorised representatives
- Cancel the record to permanently delete it
Access a record as an authorised representative
To access a My Health Record as an authorised representative you will need to:
- Log in to My Health Record through your myGov account.
- Select the record of the person for whom you are an authorised representative.
You may be required to verify your identity when accessing a My Health Record as an authorised representative.
Not an authorised representative yet? Find out how to become an authorised representative.
How long you can act as an authorised representative
If you are managing someone’s record as an authorised representative (for example as a parent), this status ends when:
- The person you represent starts to manage their own record
- The person turns 14 (in the case of a child’s My Health Record)
- You no longer have legal authority or parental responsibility, such as through court action
- You have reached the end date of your legal authority
Remove yourself as an authorised representative
Before you remove yourself as an authorised representative from a person’s My Health Record, first consider the impact this could have on the person.
If the person no longer has an authorised representative but needs one because they lack the capacity to manage their own record, their record may be cancelled.
If your personal situation has changed and you need help to manage your authorised representative status, then please call the Help line on 1800 723 471.