Register for a My Health Record myGov iconSign in with myGov

Last updated 03 April 2016

Prepare to access your child's My Health Record

To apply to access and manage your child’s My Health Record online, you must have parental responsibility for them and the child must be listed on your Medicare card. If this is not the case, you will need to apply in writing.

How this process works

There are four steps that you will need to follow to access and manage your child’s My Health Record as their Authorised Representative. These steps are:

  1. Read essential information
  2. Create a myGov account or login to your existing account
  3. Verify your identity
  4. Set up your child's My Health Record
  5. =
  6. Process complete

What you are going to need

Because health records can contain sensitive personal information, we need to make sure you are who you say you are. To do this, we will ask you a number of questions to verify your identity.

In order to complete the online identity verification process we will need to locate your Medicare record and ask you questions from that record. If you do not want us to use this information, you cannot continue with this online registration process.

To answer these questions, you will need:

Medicare card or DVA card

Your BSB and bank account number into which you have asked Medicare to pay benefits directly, if you've arranged this with Medicare

Your address as recorded by Medicare

Information about your last doctor's visit for which a Medicare claim was made (including visits where you had no out of pocket expenses)

You do not have to answer all questions that are asked when verifying your identity. You just have to answer enough correctly to pass the registration identity check. So if you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t quit the process. Skip that question and try the next one.

If you have been given an Identity Verification Code (IVC), we will not need to ask you questions about your Medicare record.

Start application

Want to register by phone, in person or in writing instead?

Last updated 03 April 2016