Shared Health Summary vs Event Summary
Published 13 May 2016
|Shared Health Summary||Event Summary|
|What is it?||Represents a patient’s health status at a point in time. This will include known information in four key areas: patient’s medical conditions, medicines, allergies/adverse reactions and immunisations.
A patient has only one current Shared Health Summary at a time.
|Captures key health information about a significant healthcare event that is relevant to the ongoing care of the patient,e.g.|
indicating a clinical intervention, improvement in a condition or treatment has been started or completed.
|Who can create and upload?||Shared Health Summaries are prepared and uploaded by a patient’s Nominated Healthcare Provider – the patient’s regular provider.
They can be either a:
- Medical practitioner registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Nurse registered with AHPRA
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practitioner with a Cert IV in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care registered with AHPRA.
|Event Summaries are intended for healthcare providers who are not the patient’s regular provider/ Nominated Healthcare Provider.
They can be created and uploaded by any healthcare provider with a Healthcare Provider Identifier–Individual (HPI-I) who is working at a participating healthcare
|When to create?||Examples include:
- When completing a patient health assessment (e.g. GP Management Plan, 75+ Assessment, child health check)
- Significant changes to a patient’s health status in any of the four key areas: patient’s medical conditions, medicines, allergies/adverse reactions or immunisation's.
- Patients visiting an after-hours medical service
- Holidaying patients
- Patients visiting from another area
- Patients receiving an immunisation or flu vaccine.
- Shared Health Summary
- Discharge Summary
- Specialist Letter.
|How to create?||Software demonstrations can be found on the NEHTA website||Software demonstrations on uploading an Event Summary will be available soon. Check the NEHTA website for details.|
|Where to go for more details?||Visit the NEHTA website for more details on Shared Health Summaries.||Visit the NEHTA website for more details on Event Summaries .|
For more information call the Help Centre: 1300 901 001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org