Healthcare Organisation registration
To ensure your Healthcare Organisation can view its patients’ My Health Records, your organisation needs to register to participate in Australia’s My Health Record system. Once your organisation is registered, Individual Healthcare Providers and other relevant employees can be authorised to access the My Health Record system on the organisation’s behalf.
There are three steps to follow for your Healthcare Provider Organisation to start participating in the My Health Record system:
Before you start the registration process, it is important that you understand the steps involved and the key concepts relevant to participating in the My Health Record system.
For most Healthcare Provider Organisations, registering for the My Health Record system will be straight-forward. However, the steps involved in registration become a little more complicated if your organisation is large and complex. In all cases, the first step is to register your 'seed organisation'.
Registration can be performed online or through paper based registration by printing the provided forms.
- Healthcare Provider Identifier for Organisations (HPI-O).
- My Health Record System.
- NASH PKI Certificate for Organisations.
All three of the above listed digital health services are required to access the My Health Record system.
- Print and complete the Application to register a seed organisation (PDF 614 KB). If the seed organisation is not already registered in the HI Service, you will need to complete Part A (HI Service) and Part B (PCEHR).
- Submit the forms (with any necessary supporting documentation) to the return address on the application form.
- Consider whether you need to establish network organisations to manage how patients can control access to their My Health Record.
- Set up access to the My Health Record system for your seed organisation (see ‘Access’ below).
- Receive notification from the HI Service that the seed organisation has been assigned an HPI-O.
- Register the network organisation in the HI Service.
- Print and complete the Application to register Network Organisation in the My Health Record system (PDF 263 KB).
- Submit the My Health Record system registration forms (with any necessary supporting documentation) to the return address on the application form.
- Set up access to the My Health Record system for your network organisation (see ‘Access’ below).
If you are having difficulties completing your registration application please call 1800 723 471.
A confirmation letter will be sent to your organisation when your application has been processed and confirmed. Once your organisation is registered in the My Health Record system, authorised staff can access the system, either:
- using conformant clinical computer software that is installed on the organisation’s IT system, or
- via the My Health Record provider portal (read access only).
In both cases, digital credentials will need to be obtained.
- Install conformant clinical software on your organisation’s IT system.
- Apply for a Department of Human Services’ NASH PKI Certificate using the ‘Application to Request a National Authentication Service for Health Public Key Infrastructure Certificate for Healthcare provider organisations’, which you can download from the Department of Human Services.
- Install the NASH PKI Certificate on your organisation’s IT system.
- Begin accessing the My Health Record system.
- To notify the System Operator of the individuals in the organisation who are authorise to access the provider portal on the organisation's behalf:
- use Health Professional Online Services;
- call 1800 723 471, and press option 2 for providers, or;
- submit the Application to establish list of authorised healthcare provider individuals (PDF 162 KB) form, which can be submitted with an application to register or any later time
- Authorised staff must apply for a NASH PKI Certificate using the ‘Application to Request a National Authentication Service for Health Public Key Infrastructure Certificate for Individual Healthcare Providers’, which can be download from the Department of Human Services.
- Authorised staff can begin accessing the My Health Record record system via the provider portal.
4. What are my participation obligations for My Health Record?
Please note that Participation Agreements are no longer required. Organisations that registered before 1 March 2016 are still bound by their participation agreement. The My Health Record System Operator will be contacting these organisations from March 2016 to make arrangement to terminate these agreements. In the meantime, these organisations will be subject to obligations in both the participation agreement and in the My Health Record Rule 2016, as the obligations are the same.